Do you have those friends who you sit and have long conversations with and you don’t realize as time flies by? I’m sure you are wondering where this wine lover gets to talk about gin? With a title like that? But hold your horses… I happened to spend my Saturday afternoon with some friends and friends of friends. I love the outdoors and any opportunity that I get to spend in the outdoors is always good for me. When you are trying to achieve your dreams, sometimes you forget to live a little. Sit on the grass, let your hair down, play with some water pipes and sprinklers and walk on a lawn.
It is great when you have amazing company and ice cold drinks. Instead we are caught up with work, school, entrepreneurship etc. We forget to take some time off. While we were ‘living a little’, some friend was telling us about why you should drink gin and he gave us amazing reasons. I had to do a lot of research to see if his ‘theories’ held water. This is not the first time I have heard people going on and on about gin. One of my closest friends is an ardent gin fan. So lets see the reasons for all the glory.
Gin is Natural Gin is mostly made of juniper but can be made of other ingredients like coriander, sage, cassia, nutmeg and rosemary. Sources state that it can help to cure arthritis and gout.
Reducing Wrinkles Gin contains antioxidants from juniper that help to reduce wrinkles by rejuvenating your skin.
Aids in Digestion The bitter herbs contained in gin can cause increases in digestive enzymes and stomach acid secretions, which helps break down food quickly and improves digestion. Source.
Prevents Cancer The high antioxidant levels in gin help to “neutralize free radicals in the body,”
It wont make you add weight In all the alcohols, gin contains the least of calories.
Things You Did Not Know About Gin
1. Gin is meant to be enjoyed with cocktails. The complex flavours in gin come alive when mixed with other ingredients. This is the reason most classic cocktails call for gin.
2. Gin has the most classic cocktail than other spirits. Some of the cocktails are Bees Knees, Tom Collins, Negroni, Ramos Gin Fizz, Martinez, Hanky Panky Gin Rickey, Red Snapper etc.
3. Gin was first made in Holland.
4. Gin is Flavored Vodka. (Did you realize that the two drinks have the least hangovers among the spirits?). I have always opted for vodka cocktails but I guess I’ll try gin.
5. There are countless gin recipes. Check them out on Pinterest.